Sunday, May 20, 2012

30 Things

Turning thirty is pretty exciting!  I love birthdays, and I've been looking forward to this one!  I've learned many valuable lessons over the last 30 years.  Some from teachers.  Some from friends.  Some because I made mistakes, and had to "fix it".  And several lessons were taught to me by my parents.  I was raised by two incredible people.  They were different from each other, but their differences made them a great team; and being a team kept them united.  They were always consistent in their parenting, and they never wasted a teachable moment with my sister or me.  In honor of my 30th birthday, I'd like to share 30 things that I've learned from my parents.  

1.   Love God.
2.   Love unconditionally.  We must love with no strings attached.
3.  Be consistent.  People should know what to expect in their dealings with you.  My parents were always consistent in their parenting.
4.  Respect others.  Period.
5.  Be true to your word & follow through.
6.  Be fair.  It's important to treat people fairly.  That is, in fact, the way that we'd all like to be treated.  However, sometimes people aren't treated fairly, and it's our responsibility to fight for justice.
 7. Be patient.  I was always taught that if you pray for patience, God will give you opportunities to practice patience.  I've learned that you can't rush things.  And you certainly can't rush people.  Everything happens in God's timing. 
8.  Follow your heart.  Pray about important decision.  Take advice from wise and trustworthy friends.  But don't forget to follow your own heart.
9.  Tell people about Jesus.  Use words if you need to, but strive everyday to SHOW others His love.
10. Be silly.  (My dad was really good at this one.)  There is, of course, always a time to be serious.  But being silly when the time is right sure is fun!
11. Tell the truth.  People deserve it.
12. Sometimes the best thing for you is a nap!  I remember, on several occasions, coming home from a sleepover at a friend's house, where we got little to no sleep.  I remember having a bad attitude toward my sister and/or parents.  Mom and Dad would always make me take a nap before I said or did something that was going to get me into trouble.  That principle still applies even though I'm now an adult.
13.  Encourage others.  Life is hard, and sometimes the road we walk is tough.  Encouraging someone, being their personal cheerleader, can change their world.  It's amazing what someone can accomplish if they know someone has got their back and will speak encouraging words over them!
14.  Help those who are down and out.  We are blessed beyond measure and we are called to help others.  
15.  Be compassionate.  Even if I may feel like someone doesn't deserve it.  I definitely didn't deserve God's compassion, grace, or mercy when He sent His Son for me.   But He sent Him anyway.  
16. Share.  Nothing that I have belongs to me, and I can't take it with me when I die.  So why keep it all for myself?
17 Pray.  Do it everyday.  All day.  It's the easiest way to stay connected to and hear from God. 
18. Pick up after yourself.
19.  Leave things in better condition than when you got it.
20. Look people in the eye.  Otherwise, how will they ever find you trustworthy?
21.  Do the right thing, even if nobody is around to see it.
22.  Don't expect praise for everything you do.
23.  Don't judge a book by it's cover.  Who am I to judge someone?  I'm not better than anybody else. 
24.  Everyone has a past, love them anyway.
25.  Obey your parents.  When you do, you're obeying God, too.
26.  Love your siblings, they really are a gift.  The older I get, the easier that is for me.
27.  Tithe.  Give back to God just a small portion of what He's blessed you with.  This has grown my faith more than anything else.  He never fails me.
28.  Pay your bills (on time) before splurging.
29.  Save money.  You never know when you're going to need it.
30.  Strive everyday to be a godly woman.  Stay in constant communication with God so that I can hear His voice and follow the path He wants me to walk down.

I will learn thousands of lessons before I die.  But I am so very thankful for this small handful that I have already learned.  They have shaped and molded me into who I am.  And that is the best birthday gift!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete